A concentrated solvent additive that remedies asphaltene deposition and other formation problems associated with oil and gas production. It may also be used in conjunction with CO2.
Solids precipitation from reservoir crudes has been recognized as a serious detriment in numerous oil systems. Precipitation may result in insitu permeability reductions as well as contributing to serious plugging problems in production wells and surface facilities. A small addition of SPI 2400 (2% - 4% by weight) to the solvent or CO2 is all that is required to eliminate or to reduce asphaltene precipitation problems.
SPI 2400 is a non-ionic oil soluble compound that is stable at a high temperature (up to 350oC). SPI 2400 displays strong water wetting tendencies from its combined hydrophilic/hydrophobic nature, maintaining a preferentially water wet environment.
SPI 2400 can be successfully applied to a whole range of reservoir brine salinities with no adverse effects on product performance. Non-ionic compounds are not significantly affected by the presence of water-soluble salts irrespective of their (salts) concentration. In addition, SPI 2400 is an efficient penetrating and dispersing agent.
The technology was developed as a joint venture by Rocanda Enterprises Ltd. and Buckman Laboratories of Canada, Ltd. for asphaltene inhibition. This new technology represents "state of the art" development on how to deal with asphaltene deposition in both down hole and surface wells.
The principle of this technology is that the SPI 2400 molecule, when in contact with the oil prior to asphaltene precipitation, will simply not allow the asphaltene molecule to collapse into a solid particle, even when both temperature and pressure are reduced. In the event that precipitation has already occurred, SPI will solubilise and hold it in solution.
1. Resuspends asphaltenes by mimicking the natural resins of heavy oil
2. Penetrates, disperses, and dissolves sludges and asphaltenic deposits
3. Breaks water in oil emulsions and water blocks by reducing the interfacial tension that exists between the oil and water phases
4. Coats sand and clay solids and leaves the particles water wet
5. Significantly reduces viscosity of heavy oil
6. Provides corrosion control by forming a protective film on metal surfaces
7. Highly concentrated formulation, thus, a little goes a long way
8. Compatible with heavy oil and lighter gravity crudes
9. Critical control procedure not required because over-treatment will not result in formation of troublesome deposits
For more detailed information please click on the following:
Detailed SPI 2400 Description
SPI 2400 in Miscible Floods
SPI 2400 Applications